Thursday, March 4, 2010

Waiting for a Tsumani


There's a certain excited anticipation that becomes contagious when you get warning of an impending natural disaster. I don't know if it has more to do with the realization that you really don't know what will happen or the adrenaline that we get from fear. In any case, you can learn about yourself in these situations.
I surprised myself. I always considered myself someone who would be calm under the pressure of surprise-and I was right-but there's more to it than that.
As I debated on the seriousness of the threat of a tsunami, the thing that sparked me into action was the realization of how my inactivity may affect the people around me. 1. If I didn't take it seriously, how many other people may not? 2. I was prepared but how many people I know don't know what to prepare in situations like this? 3. Who do I know that may not know about the possible danger?
These were the things that motivated me. I wonder sometimes if my propensity to try to help and save everyone else is sometimes at a cost to myself. Is it self destructive? I don't know yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment